The great thing about chicken is that you can do so much with it. You can make appetizers, salads, entrees, deserts (what...you've never had chicken a la mode??) Anyway, the point is your possibilities are endless. So lets take a minute and focus on just one way to prepare chicken, and that's chicken salad. I've come across a lot of different recipes for chicken salad over the years, but to this day, this one here is still my favorite! I got the idea from my mother, but I modified the recipe to make it my own. I call it BBQ Chicken Salad.
My mother introduced me to BBQ chicken salad because she used to make it when we would have BBQ chicken for dinner. My father would cook the chicken on the grill, and then after dinner, my mother would take the leftover chicken and add mayo for instant chicken salad and an instant lunch for the next day.
BBQ Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 cups diced cooked BBQ chicken
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup mayo (depends how mayo-e you like it)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- Lettuce, pasta, or any other dish
- When you make BBQ chicken salad, it only works If you use chicken that's been cooked on the grill (be sure to leave the skin on while cooking it, and cut up the skin along with the chicken for the chicken salad)
- Dice the chicken until you have about two cups
- Mix with mayo and celery
- Serve over lettuce, pasta, by itself or on any dish of your choice
I've modified my chicken salad recipe a time or two over the years, for instance: use ranch dressing instead of mayo, you can also add in nuts or grapes to give it additional flavor. What really makes this chicken salad unique is getting the BBQ grilled flavor in every bite! So if you ever find yourself with some leftover BBQ chicken and are looking for a unique way to use it, try my BBQ chicken salad recipe! Trust me, your taste buds will thank you!